Charles Rennie Mackintosh was an early twentieth century architect and designer
When and Where was he Born?
7th June 1868, Glasgow, Scotland.
Charles Rennie Mackintosh was the son of a Police Superintendent.
Allen Glen’s School. Apprenticed to an Architect, John Hutchinson. Attended evening classes at the Glasgow School of Art where he met Margaret MacDonald.
Chronology/Biography of Charles Rennie Mackintosh:
1884: Mackintosh was apprenticed to the firm of John Hutchinson.
1889: Joined the firm of Honeyman and Keppie as an architectural assistant.
1890: Charles Rennie Mackintosh won a traveling Scholarship and toured extensively in Italy, Belgium and France.
1891: He worked with Margaret MacDonald and her sister Frances and her husband Herbert McNair and the group became known as “The Four” and the “Glasgow Style” was born. They exhibited both in London and abroad in Vienna and Turin.
1893: Designed his first major commission the Glasgow Herald Newspaper building. Known as the Lighthouse.
1897: Designed the Glasgow School of Art and Queen’s Cross Church.
1899: Mackintosh designed Windyhill, Kilmalcolm.
1900: He exhibited at the Vienna Sezession.
1901: Now married Mackintosh and Margaret continued to work together and entered many international competitions. They designed the Warndorfer Music Salon in Vienna. and the Exhibition Room in Moscow.
1901-03: Designs were produced for the “House for an Art Lover” (In Bellahouston Park, Glasgow), the Hill House in Helensburgh for the publisher Walter Blackie, Scotland Street School and the Willow Tea Rooms in Sauchiehall Street for Miss Kate Cranston.
1902: Mackintosh organised the Scottish section of the Turin Exhibition.
1904: Became a partner in Honeyman and Keppie.
1906: Became a Member of the Royal Institution of British Architects. The Mackintoshes moved to 78 Southpark Avenue, Glasgow and he remodelled the interiors of the Victorian home. (The house was purchased by the University of Glasgow in 1946).
1914: Mackintosh moved to Walberswick in Suffolk.
1915: Moved to Chelsea in London where he began working on designs for fabrics, furniture and book covers.
1916: Designed the interior of 78 Derngate, Northampton for the industrial designer W. J. Basset-Lowke.
1923: Moved to Port Vendres in the South of France where he mainly worked on landscape painting.
1927: Charles Rennie Mackintosh returned to London to receive treatment for cancer.
(1933): Death of Margaret.
1900 to Margaret MacDonald, a fellow student at Glasgow.
When and Where did he Die?
10th December 1928, London, England of cancer.
Age at Death:
Site of Grave:
Cremated at Golder’s Green Crematorium, London.
Places of Interest:
The Lighthouse Museum, Mitchell Street.
The Charles Rennie Mackintosh Society, Queens Cross Church, 870 Garscube Road.
Glasgow School of Art, 167 Renfrew Street. (burned down twice in the last few years)
The Willow Tea Rooms, 217 Sauchiehall Street.
House for an Art Lover, Bellahouston Park.
The Hunterian Gallery, 82 Hill Head Street (Holds reconstructed Interior of the Mackintosh House).
Scotland Street School, Museum of Education, 225 Scotland street.
78 Derngate, Northampton.
The Hill House, Kennedy Drive, Helensburgh.